Thursday 9 August 2012

THE UNKNOWN

I have no idea how to blog. How to engage people in a virtual conversation, how to interact with an audience I will never meet. So I am just going to write for now. I promise there will be more interesting things to come. But if I don't start now, I'll never write anything.

It's a Thursday in the dead of summer. Humid and raining. But for some reason my mind keeps drifting toward thoughts (or rather, nostalgia) of going back to school. Feeling the weight of my rucksack slung over my shoulder, the too-full coffee spilling down onto my thumb. That smell of damp leaves, crisp forgiveness, new hard-covers freshly cracked, poring over those first pages with the renewed enthusiasm of a morning storm. I miss those days. Or, I should say, I miss that walk. Just the walk to class. And the walk home, or the walk to a friend's house or a party to hang out. The classes themselves, well, I realize that any sort of nostalgia for that is just a romantic convenience of memory- it's easier to remember richness and colour than bland redundancy and unconscious necessity.
Which is why I am not too sad about this nostalgia I feel today. Memory is a blessedly discriminating faculty. People say that you remember the good and forget the bad, but I don't believe that to be true (especially if you think of all the traumas that people endure and can never be disquieted). I think that our memory holds colour and forgets the anaemic banality of tedium. It is not a question of good memories vs bad memories, only rich memories vs colourless ones.
Which is why we must fill these long, languid summer moments not with thoughts of boredom and what to do next or what came before and what we no longer have, but of the colour of each and every languishing moment. Remember the richness of scent; of the synapses and cogs and rushing rivers of our bodies, grinding into a beautiful mess of thoughts and feelings and senses; of what we can taste when we touch, see when we hear, believe when we dream.

A couple of things I found on the internet that I would like to share:
This guy will blow your mind. Genius.
And this show.
Consider your productivity for the day ruined by this awesomeness.


Bye for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment